The decision to move into a Life Plan Community is far from easy. We hope these tips will help you guide you in your initial process.
- Take a tour of the community! Better yet, ask if they have a guest room and stay overnight. This is a great way to meet your potential neighbors and experience what it would be like to live there. Feel free to visit the Skilled Nursing & Rehab, Assisted Living, and Memory Care residences. These are services you or your partner may need in the future.
- Check the occupancy rate. A community with 85% or higher typically indicates a healthy and financially viable organization. (An exception is if they’re a new development). Also ask for a copy of their annual report to assess if the organization is financially sound.
- Meet staff members from different departments. What is the turnover like? Do staff look happy? Are they an expert in their field? Nonprofit LPCs often attract staff members who are passionate about working with older adults.
- Who lives there? The people make all the difference. Talk to residents and ask what they like or dislike about the place. What is the average age of the residents and male to female ratio? How much of the community is single or married?
- Request a sample contract and financial disclosures up front. What are the details of the contract? Before signing anything, your lawyer or financial adviser should review it.
- What meals are provided? Does the organization have a head chef? Meal hours, seat assignments, and dietary accommodations can vary from community to community. Stop by for lunch during your tour to taste the food.
- Ask anything that may interest you! i.e. Amenities – is there a pool? Fitness Center? What are the daily activities like?
What’s next? The most important question to ask yourself is if a Life Plan Community is right for you. Life Plan Communities are certainly full of perks, no matter your age. Truth is, some people wait too long to move. The time is now. Trust your intuition and give us a call when you’re ready to check us out! We’re here to help you.
Check out our events here or call 206-281-5744 for a personal tour. Lunch is on us!